Sunday 2 December 2012

Wargaming Battles Long Ago.

Been tidying out a cupboard and came across these old photos of various wargames I have played , the quality is not great but these date back when cameras had rolls of film in them.

 
An ACW  game using I think Confederate High Command rules (?) , 25mm Minifigs on a rather strangely home dyed bed sheet .
 
 
Another shot of the same game , the roads are cut up plastic floor tiles if I remember rightly . The experimentation in dyeing didn't work very well did it ! , in this modern era of purpose made felt cloths we tend to forget how hard it was to get suitably coloured material in the distant wargaming past . This game dates I think from about the mid 1980s.
 
 
A slightly later game of ACW  using 'Johnny Reb' rules (think I can make out some of the little green markers that came with the game) . Notice I have a proper felt cloth now - purchased at great expense from Standard Games. The wooden fencing was made by my father in his retirement.
 
 
A Romans versus Ancient Britons game , these figures had a renaissance when Warhammer Ancient Battles rules came out - they had languished unused when I got sick of playing WRG 6th edition rules with all their complexities.
 
 
Now two golden oldies, in the late 70s (?) I and another chap called Dave Cliff (?) put on a demonstration game at the Victorian Military Societies meeting at the United Services Institute in London of the action at the river Bulnak in the Crimea 1854 - a small skirmish which we turned into a full blown battle , with me loosing the Light Brigade !.
 
 
Another view from the Russian side . We used Peter Laing 15mm figures and adapted the WRG Horse and Musket rules , the scenery and cloth were provided by Dave. Much to our great surprise we won best game award ! . Most of the figures I still have but need rebasing to modern standards .
 
 
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Those pictures are grand, thank you, for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pics thanks for posting them up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful trip down memory lane; the bottom two set ups just look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find old wargaming photos fascinating , they date so fast

      Delete
  4. Love the old Peter Laing Crimeans - if you ever decide to part with them, please let me know!
    Ian M Dury

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the VERY slow process of rebasing them to startusing them again - however if I do decided to get rid of them I will remember your request .

      Delete
    2. Many thanks - if you get ever get down to Salute, I am always on the Continental Wars Society Display game
      Ian

      Delete