Monday 30 December 2013

The Donald Featherstone Memorial Game (Part 2)

 
 
 
On my right flank the infantry advances onto the table
 
 
And comes under accurate Artillery fire !
 
 
'S' counters it by sending his Chasseur's through the woods.
 
 
In the centre my columns cross the river to find their way blocked by 'S's Turco's.
 
 
The forces clash on the hill top and I start to get the upper hand !
 
 
'S' rushes reinforcements to hold up my attack ! - at this point the battle was defiantly going my way !. BUT I then did a series of things that snatched defeat from the jaws of victory !.
 
 
I ignored his lancers and moved my infantry up in column to cut his centre - they charged and my Jaegers and Artillery failed to stop them with supporting fire !.
 
 
Under Don's rules getting charged in the flank is NOT a good thing - they broke and were cut down by the Lancers - Oh dear !
 
 
In the centre my Bavarians lost their last officer, failed a moral test and fled back across the river , the Wurttemberg infantry on their flank then failed their moral test for a flank unit fleeing and broke as well - Oh dear !.
 
 
'S's view of the table - he had started pulling his units back just prior to my debacle now with a grin on his face he countermanded this and followed up my fleeing forces !. 
 
 
The situation on the last move , the Bavarians continue to flee but the Wurttemberg unit is rallied by the Prussian High Command .
 
 
The French Zouaves move forward to control the ridge , urged on by their Cantiniere !
 
 
One of the only rule changes we made was to allow one French casualty to re roll a failed saving throw if a Cantiniere was present - if he was successful she had revived him with her brandy !.
 
 
To add insult to injury 'S' managed to cause casualties on my gun preventing it from firing . It was French victory - due to my mistakes and a touch of bad luck . We both agreed it had been a good and tense game , the rules worked well after 50 odd years and took only 2 hours to play . We hope it was a fitting memorial to a great wargamer . Who knows it may become a seasonal tradition !.
P.S. on seeing the photo of us in the first instalment, 'S' said that it did not make me look fat - only 'portly' - Not sure if he is trying to be kind or it's a pun !?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 
 
 
 
 
























 

3 comments:

  1. I REALLY like Franco Prussian War figures. This collection looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super end to a memorable gaming year! Here's to 2014! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete